RI.gov R.I. Government Agencies | Privacy Policy |


Rhode Island Housing oversees the management of 20,000 apartments for low-income seniors, families and persons with disabilities. Approximately 15,000 of these apartments are Section 8. Under this category, tenants pay 30 percent of their income for rent. The remaining 5,000 apartments have a variety of subsidies that keep the rents affordable for low-income households.

Generally, residents of Section 8 apartments must earn no more than 50 percent of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) median family income for their community and household size. other apartments are restricted to households earning no more than 60 percent of HUD median family income.

Applicants can apply for housing in any community in which they would like to live. Most communities have a waiting list for these affordable housing units.

For more information, contact Rhode Island Housing, 44 Washington Street, Providence, RI 02903 at 457-1234 (Voice) or 450-1394 (TTY). Their website is www.rihousing.com.

Many cities and towns have public housing authorities that provide affordable apartments and Section 8 vouchers. Contact your local city or town hall.

The Department of Elderly Affairs also publishes the Security Journal, a quarterly informational newsletter designed to keep housing managers and residents informed and educated on issues such as fire safety and prevention, personal security, and updates on DEA programs and activities. For more information,call 462-0539.

Assisted living provides a combination of housing and services in a setting designed to offer choice, independence, and dignity. These homes may be small, family-style places or large, apartment-style facilities.As a general rule, residents must be ambulatory (canes, walkers, and sometimes wheelchairs are acceptable) and not require on-going extensive medical and nursing care.

Assisted living provides rooms or apartments, meals, 24-hour staffing, assistance with personal care and medication, housekeeping, laundry, activities, and other services that allow adults to stay in the community. The cost varies considerably.

There are more than 60 licensed assisted living facilities in the state.

For a listing of assisted living facilities, contact DEA at 462-3000 (Voice) . Additional information can be obtained by calling the Rhode Island Assisted Living Association, 2224 Pawtucket Avenue, East Providence, RI 02914 at 435-8882 or the Rhode Island Department of Health- Facilities Regulation at 222-2566.

The Rhode Island Coalition for the Homeless, 160 Broad Street, Providence, RI 02903 publishes the Street Sheet and lists emergency shelters, food pantries, and other helpline information. Call 421-6458. Their web site is www.rihomeless.com.

Crossroads Rhode Island, 160 Broad Street, Providence,RI 02903 also provides information and referral for the homeless and those in transition. Call 521-2255.

The Rhode Island Housing’s Home Improvement & Lead Abatement Program can assist qualified residents in obtaining low-interest home repair and improvement loans. Call 450-1350.
Some grants or loans for home repair may be available through local communities. Call the city or town hall.

The U.S.D.A. Rural Development, 60 Quaker Lane, Suite 44, Warwick, RI 02886 also provides grants and loans for home repair and improvement to qualified homeowners. Call 826-0842.