RI.gov R.I. Government Agencies | Privacy Policy |


Medicare offers limited skilled nursing facility care when certain conditions are met. Call a Department of Human Services long term care office for information about Medical Assistance (Medicaid) and nursing home care. 1-855-MY-RIDHS (1-855-697-4347)

The Department of Health - Facilities Regulation maintains a list of nursing homes and investigates patient abuse. Call 222-2566 (Voice/TTY) for information.

The Alliance for Better Long Term Care, 422 Post Road, Warwick, RI 02888 serves as the state’s long term care ombudsman, offering mediation and problem-solving. For a more information, about the Alliance and its services, call 785- 3340 or visit their website.

Information is now available regarding the quality of care in local nursing homes. Among the measurements used are management of pain, nutrition, infections, the use of physical restraints, and other standards.

Go to the web at www.medicare.gov and select the Nursing Home Compare link. Information is available by states.

You can also call Medicare at 1-800- MEDICARE (633-4227), or 1-877-486-2048 (Voice/TTY).

Nursing home comparisons are also available at the RI Department of Health site www.health.state.ri.us and follow the links under the Nursing Home category.